I *finally* finished a project. I believe I started on it (passively) sometime in October and I finished it on Sunday, a full two months late for the birthday it was for (I would have finished it a month ago, but I was kind of hospitalized).
One of my friends is a HUGE Settlers of Catan geek. While randomly browsing the internet forever ago, I stumbled upon this Settlers of Catan’gan from Cthulhu Crochet and Cousins. Mine is directly inspired by it; I’ve never played the game so I used the same layout she did and many of the same yarn colors. I couldn’t figure out her Hexagon pattern so I went with a more open, granny squareish one. I didn’t use a pattern for them; there exists a pattern in a book somewhere that I didn’t want to buy, so I reverse-engineered it from a picture I found.
Each Hexagon is seven rows of clusters, giving each of them a bit of an open feeling. For the ocean squares with color inside, the first 2 rows are the color and the other 5 are blue. I knew I wanted the afghan big enough for my friend to curl up under it (and he’s not a small dude) so I went with seven rows each. A smaller number of rows would make a smaller, more manageable afghan. After I got all of the hexagons made and the ends woven in, I had to decide how to join the darn thing.
I hate weaving in ends, so the thought of changing colors constantly sent me into fits. Now, I’ve never played the game (though I’m sure my friend could fix that, hint hint) but when I googled the game, I noticed how many of the tiles had a white edge around them. If I used a white color, then it sort of looks like the edge of the cardboard.
I planned poorly so the white parts of the ocean hexes are a white color and the join is actually an Ivory color, but it’s so minor that I’m not worried about it.
I used the continuous join method like the previous afghans, since it is a)easy and b)durable. I make pieces in so many places (anywhere I have a free moment and my stuff with me, so everywhere) that the join-as-you-go method is cumbersome for me. I split the afghan into rows and other than a goof on row two where I tried to put two Hexes where only one went, it went along very smoothly. For the border I did the beginning part of the continuous join method (which is basically a group of 3 chains between each stitch), then I did more clusters around, putting two on the outside points and none on the inside points.
It was the first afghan I’ve made that *didn’t* make me swear!
I also found some wooden sheep and glued pin backs to them. Now we just need wood for sheep!
I’m very happy with how it turned out and my friend loved it. He was also surprised since it was so late!
For the afghan I used a J hook and:
Yellow – 2 skeins of Vanna’s Choice Mustard for 4 hexes
Red – 2 skeins of Vanna’s Choice Brick for 3 hexes
Light Green – 2 skeins of Vanna’s Choice Dusty Green for 4 hexes
Dark Green – 2 skeins of Vanna’s Choice Olive for 4 hexes
Gray – 2 skeins of Vanna’s Choice Charcoal Grey for 3 hexes
Black – a partial skein of I Love This Yarn Black for 1 hex
White (accents) – a partial skein of I Love This Yarn White for accent parts
Blue – 2 or 3 skeins of I Love This Yarn Dark Country Blue for 9 solid hexes and 9 hexes with accents
Ivory (border) – most of a big skein of Impeccable Ivory